Learning to Rest
Sometimes the best trips are not the ones filled with endless activities or perfectly planned itineraries. Sometimes they are the ones that quietly remind us of who we are when the world finally becomes still.
My recent trip to Kalangala was one of those experiences. Of course, there were beautiful views, long walks, fresh air, and the soothing rhythm of the waves. But the greatest gift of the trip wasn't the destination. It was the realization that I didn't need every moment to be extraordinary in order for it to be meaningful.
For so long, I have unknowingly tied my happiness to other people's energy, attention, or participation. I assumed that rest would somehow feel incomplete if everyone around me wasn't equally engaged or if every plan didn't unfold exactly as imagined. This trip challenged that thinking.
There were quiet moments when nothing much was happening. We sat by the water. We watched the waves roll in and out. We took walks without rushing to the next activity. We captured a few photographs, but there were also moments that never made it to a camera because they were simply meant to be lived.
It dawned on me that presence is a choice. The quality of my rest did not depend on someone entertaining me or validating the experience. It depended on my willingness to be fully present where I was. Once I stopped measuring the trip against expectations, I began to notice the little things: the sound of birds in the morning, the warmth of the sun, the gentle breeze, and the comforting silence that asked nothing of me.
Perhaps that is what rest is. It is not escaping life, but returning to it with a quieter mind. It is allowing ourselves to enjoy what is in front of us instead of worrying about what is missing or what someone else should be doing.
Kalangala reminded me that peace is not something another person gives us. It is something we choose to receive. And maybe that is one of the most freeing lessons of all: when we stop waiting for perfect circumstances or perfect people, we discover that contentment has been patiently waiting within us all along.
Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting