A friendship Ledger

 

A friend and I recently had an interesting conversation about birthdays.

Someone we know had apparently started keeping track of the people who remembered her birthday, the people who called, and those who gave her gifts. At first, I thought, “Isn't that a little too transactional?” If I have the means to give someone a gift, why should I stop simply because they didn't give me one? Sometimes people have money. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes they remember. Sometimes life gets in the way.

But then another thought came up.What happens when it isn't just one birthday? What if I consistently remember yours, choose something thoughtful, call you and make an effort, while year after year you barely acknowledge mine? At what point does generosity stop feeling like generosity and start feeling like something I am doing in a relationship that isn't really meeting me halfway?

I don't think friendship needs a perfect 50/50 balance. People go through different seasons. One person may have more time, money or emotional capacity than the other. That shouldn't turn every act of kindness into a debt.

But patterns matter. If I repeatedly feel depleted, overlooked or disappointed, perhaps the answer isn't to keep giving and secretly hope you will eventually notice. And it isn't necessarily to punish you by keeping score either.

Maybe it is simply to adjust. I can still wish you a happy birthday without buying a gift. I can care about you without making the same level of effort. I can stop overextending myself without becoming bitter.

Perhaps boundaries in friendship are less about withholding love and more about becoming honest about where our energy goes. Not every relationship needs to be ended because it isn't perfectly reciprocal. But neither does every relationship deserve the same investment.

Sometimes the healthiest thing is not to close the friendship ledger. It is to stop keeping one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family's anchor

Fantasy traps

When It’s Hard to Be Kind